After many years of stitching I began creating my own hand-embroidered textile art works in 2017.
I draw inspiration from the patterns and textures found in nature. At home I am surrounded by the beautiful farmland, moorlands and coastal landscapes of East Lothian, Scotland, and I aim to absorb the details of these tranquil places in my work.
I like to experiment with stitch techniques, paint, collage and appliqué to add depth to my work. My work is slow and has a meditative aspect; hand stitch takes a lot of time. I focus on the process, and not just the results.
My artworks are created on hand-painted cotton or linen fabric. I embrace the unpredictable results of painting on fabric along with collage and appliqué to create a three-dimensional, textural effect. I use a variety of materials including silk, cotton, linen, felt, wool and organza. My works are heavily stitched. I select cotton, wool and linen threads to embroider the details using an intuitive and spontaneous slow stitch process, guided by the work itself.
Alongside my creative practice, I am a writer/editor for TextileArtist.org, producing articles, online content and course materials for their popular online Stitch Club. I am also a member of the Society for Embroidered Work. Both of these organisations promote contemporary textile art and its consideration as a fine art form.
I have a small range of cards and notebooks available in my online shop, printed and produced by a local Scottish company. You can also find these in store at Beech and Birch in Gifford, and online at Etsy.
Please contact me if you’d like to purchase an original artwork. I also sell my artworks at exhibitions and at Coast Art Gallery in Dunbar. I post my latest work on Instagram (@heidiingramtextileart).
- Artwork selected for the ‘Surface and Depth’ juried exhibition by the Society for Embroidered Work, Palazzo Velli Expo, Rome (2021)
- Two artworks selected as finalist entries for the National Needlecraft Awards (‘Best Original Embroidery Design’ and ‘Best Miniature’ categories) and exhibited at the Spring Knitting and Stitching Show, Kensington Olympia, London (2019)
- Two artworks selected for the ‘Contemporary Stitched Art’ juried exhibition by the Society for Embroidered Work, Clerkenwell Gallery, London (2019)
- 3 Harbours Arts Festival @ Haddstock (2018)
- St Abbs Annual Art exhibition (2018)