This week my students looked at using waste fabric to stitch on anything, where the waste fabric is pulled out thread-by-thread after stitching has been completed.
My students had chosen gorgeous embroidery kits from Nancy Nicholson and we hooped them up and started with the simpler stitches. This was continued for a second week. The designs really start to stand out with the threads giving a such a tactile 3D quality to the design. We discussed what to do with the finished piece, from backing it and attaching it to the front of a bag or box, making it into a decorative cushion panel or simply stretching it over an art canvas for hanging on the wall for all to admire our handiwork.
As this was a longer session we chose some gorgeous wool fabrics and starting cutting out pieces to make beautiful storage bag-boxes in our next class, to be embellished with our stitched designs. Can’t wait to show off my students’ work in my next post.
This week my students brought their completed bookmarks and practice pieces with their fabulous cross stitch designs. I then set them a Valentine’s card speed stitch challenge, providing some Aida cross-stitch fabric marked with a heart shape using a transfer pencil. Then I challenged them to stitch their own designs, whether it be a geometric pattern, a modern random and over-sized stitching, text or a picture.
For weeks 3 and 4 of my class, the students began some cross-stitch for the first time, using squared paper to make up their own designs for a bookmark using Aida fabric. We continued this topic into Week 3, moving on to learn how to stitch into any fabric using ‘waste’ fabric stabiliser, then pulling out the stabiliser strand by strand afterwards.
Spaces are still available in the class if you’d like to join us for the remaining six weeks. We’ll be completing our cross stitch basics then moving on to other forms of hand embroidery. Check out the PACC website.
Today I made a lined oilcloth storage box. A friend had asked if I could make something spill-proof to sit on a coffee table and contain the TV remote controls. I used up some leftover tablecloth fabric and lined it with a navy polka dot cotton. Sewing the fabric on the reverse side was straightforward, using a jeans needle in the sewing machine. Getting the lining in was a big challenge as you can’t pin the oilcloth so I used paper-clips but they liked to slide out. The top stitching was hard to get neat, because you have to add a layer of tissue or baking paper (also paper-clipped in) to help the coated fabric run through the machine.